Sunday, August 7, 2011

Two instructors, no waiting

The live-aboard program used to staff the Conch Pearl with two captains and one crew member; a divemaster/instructor. Because of changes in Coast Guard regulations we now have to have two crew members. This is a new thing for me. I have always worked as the lone instructor on board. I am very fortunate to be teamed up with Megan Ware...a very detail oriented, program focused instructor. So far working with her through crew check-in has gone very well. Having two instructors that are experienced with the program made things go quickly and smoothly, even with the few bumps we encountered with equipment at the pool.
I have had alot of input in the past in the development of the program. I have been working on the Conch Pearl since 2005... but Megan has taken it to a new level. Instead of running things off of the 'top of my head' she has developed a bunch of reference cards and signs to help direct the program. This standardization will help assure that all crews have the same chance for a great experience. Not that they didn't have a great time before...it just makes things a bit easier and removes some of the guesswork as to what has to be done.
I'm looking forward to a great three weeks and hope to keep up with Megan.

No comments:

Post a Comment