Sunday, January 1, 2012

DMA Day 14

New Year's Eve 2011. Today was our last dive day. We started the day heading out for our last deep dive, dive 4 of 4 , for the deep dive specialty. The conditions on the ocean were great; it was sunny and the seas were down. I was lucky enough to have my wife, Barbara, along for the ride. She was bummed because she is a diver but was not allowed to dive with us because it was a training dive. We pulled up to the Eagle to find great conditions. There was no current to speak of and the visibility looked great. We got our teams ready and entered the water.
I had the yellow team again...Paul, Emily J., Garett, Kevin and Jake. We had a simple dive plan...do a controlled descent, meet on the deck, go to the sand to measure the depth then tour until 1500psi of air (back on the line). The dive went as planned with the exception that Emily J. seemed a little anxious about being at 1600psi so we started to start up. I say that because so did most of the other two groups which made for a crowded ascent line. The divers had the option of ascedning off of the line, using it for a reference, but the majority felt the need to keep contact with the line. We did our 50ft safety stop then at about 20ft headed for the deco bars below the boat. There the team did a 3 minute stop then they headed for the surface. I stayed below. There was still a team doing an extended 8 minute safety stop so I stayed below as an extra 'safety diver' and to off gas a little more. Why not...I had about 1500psi left in the tank.
Once everyone was back on board we headed over to Rocky Top, a 25ft. patch reef. This was a buddy dive, where we turned everyone loose to dive on their own as a 'fun dive'. It was the first fun dive, without a training purpose. I dove with Alex as I did not remember Rocky Top and I wanted to check it out. It was a pretty little reef with lots of Grunts and Snappers. We were getting chilled so Alex and I headed for the boat but not before seeing bad diving...divers crashing the bottom, bad kicking, screwing around, tank riding etc. What a disappointment.
When we returned to the dock we completely emptied the boat and headed to the scuba area. Alex gave a briefing on how to break down, clean and put up gear, the Sea Base way.
I gave my gear a thorough washing since I won't be using it until February. The instructors even soaked all of our wetsuits and pieces in 'sink the stink' solutionn overnight.
The rest of the afternoonn was spent in the classroom doing paperwork. A bunch of the candidates still needed pictures for their cert. cards so Alex and I loaded them into two vans and off to CVS we went. There the photo guy worked out a deal for them so they only paid for a print rather than 'passport photos'.
We returned just in time for dinner and to get ready to head out to Key Wset for New Year's.

No comments:

Post a Comment