Sunday, January 22, 2012

Preparing...already

I am returning to the 'Keys' in four weeks for another two month stint of scuba diving at the Florida Sea Base aboard the Schooner Conch Pearl. I only have four week long trips scheduled on the Conch Pearl but there is plenty of work to do otherwise. I think this is my eighth year there. My first season was the Spring of 2005 and I have been going back to volunteer every year since; sometimes for Spring and sometimes for part of the Summer seasons.
I keep returning for many reasons. First is because they let me. It's an oasis for me...not so much because it's in the beautiful Florida Keys (although that's a big part of it) but because of the people. Some of the best people I have met throughout my life are the people I have met at the Florida Sea Base. I enjoy their company and friendship and have learned much from them. Another reason I return is because it keeps me from getting older or at least it is slowing the process. I went from an active, dynamic, stimulating job to being at home with the dog, disabled. I need the interaction and activity.
I have spent alot of time preparing a detailed packing list for this year's trip. I usually prepare a list but often manage to forget a few items (CRS). This time I'm even putting packing lists in the different containers in hopes that I can keep track of everything. You would be suprised how many little things you need to take along.
Alot of people wonder how I can accomplish this while being disabled with Narcolepsy. I am fortunate that they know about my Narcolepsy at FSB and they allow me to nap pretty much whenever I need to.
So I'm already preparing to go in hopes that an early start will help me to make sure I take everything I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment