Tuesday, March 22, 2011

First dives

The crew did their first dives today. The weather was a bit cloudy, the wind was up and the air a bit cool. It was still a bit sporty and vis. was only 10 - 15 feet but we did the lead dive anyway. Because the crew is so inexperienced I was a bit worried about the dive. I was wrong. They did quite well. I didn't lose anyone and their buoyancy control was pretty good.
The second dive was a 'buddy dive'. I had to retrieve two weight belts at the very beginning of the dive. I hate retrieving belts and that was two more bounces I had to do. I spent the dive leading Beth and Emily on a pretty long distance dive at Toppino's Buoy. When I surfaced to locate the boat and take a bearing I lost them. I had left them on the bottom to wait for me. We were pretty far from the boat. I surfaced again to look for bubbles, didn't see any, thought about the surface current drift and went back down and located the pair. We headed back to the boat following my compass bearing and surfaced just ahead of the mooring line. Dive saved. Everyone else made it back to the boat with nobody getting behind the boat in the surface current. Good job!

No comments:

Post a Comment