Tuesday, March 26, 2013

SLSU032413A – Sunday March 24th, 2013


Day 1 – Arrival Day

 

I contact all of my crews before they arrive; first by email a few months before arrival then I call a week before scheduled arrival. This crew was no different except when I received the confirmation return email from their leader it stated that they had been here 5 years before. When I called the week before I was told that they had been here 5 years before, on board the Conch Pearl, with me. Since I really never had a bad crew I became very curious as to which crew it was; there have been a lot of crews since then.

 

I was also told that they would be arriving a little late. Since they had been here before I was hoping that their prior experience here would make check-in and preparation to go to the ship that much easier, and speedier.

 

The other crew member this trip will be divemaster Paul Mangone. He’s my age and a graduate of the Divemaster Academy that I taught two years ago.  He’s an excellent divemaster and brings a skill set of teaching methods that widens the abilities of the Florida Sea Base Staff.

 

I just spoke with the crew’s leader. It’s almost 6pm and they’re just leaving the Miami airport. I don’t think we’re going to get much done tonight. We still have to feed them so all we’ll get done is orientation…maybe gear issue. It’s really going to effect tomorrow. “it is what it is” as Denny says.

 

The crew finally arrived a little after nine. A lost bag had delayed them even more. Upon meeting them it was good to see some familiar faces. There was the leader Bob, a ‘retired’ dive instructor and Mike, a firefighter. They had both been with me on the Conch Pearl six years ago and if I remember correctly, we had a pretty good time. The rest of the crew seemed like a good bunch of folks; a good first impression.

 

Paul and I fed the crew with leftovers the Galley had left for us, ravioli and vegetables, and then it was off to the dorms. We put the crew in one of the big crew rooms and left them for the evening. It had been a long day for them so it was no use torturing them with the orientation presentation. Tomorrow will be a longer day with a very fast pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment