Tuesday, April 5, 2011

SLS040211A has a tough day

Yesterday we woke up to a pretty good breeze. We had a cooked breakfast then headed out under full sail. The stiff wind had us heeling over and the waves were bouncing us around; a little sporty but not too bad. We headed west hoping to find some decent visibility. We stopped at Sand Key where conditions weren't too bad. There was little or no current, some surge and about 25+ feet visibility. The ride had alot of divers, including Jess our other DM, feeling pretty bad as we had been bouncing around since we left Key West, so a few divers sat out the dive. It was a nice dive for me. I ran into almost all of the divers and I saw a large reef shark swimming around the large coral head. We left the ball and had lunch on the way over to Western Dry Rocks. By the time we got to WDR only four of us were up to diving. We went on an excursion. During the dive I checked the distance from the boat and tried to turn the group around...and they lost me. I surfaced, they didn't and took a compass bearing to the boat. I returned to the boat and the others soon followed. We headed back to KW to the relief of most of the people on board. I went to sleep for another (3rd?) nap. There were some other activities yesterday. Kyle caught a mackeral while we were trolling between dive sites. They also caught alot of pinfish in the anchorage. Jess and Ian went kayaking and most of the day's zombies came back to life. Dinner was the predictable chicken patties, green beans and stuffing. Not bad for dinner on a boat. Tomorrow we'll probably head east. I hope the winds lie down a bit for those who suffered yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment